March 22, 2010 by Sandhya Hariharan
This weekend has been quite good with loads of activities... One of them worth mentioning was the Gals Day out :) Leaving our lil ones with the boyz in the house... .. Went out for a movie.. had lunch and a bit of shopping too !! Thanks to our H who have been very supportive and cheerful in sending us to have fun...
Today's post is indeed the paneer mutter butter masala... This is again one of the dishes from my boy's birthday party celebrations !! Soft paneer cubes in rich tomato gravy...
Each one have their own style but never wanted to take any chance with this yet another main course .I browsed and blogged until I composed a satisfactory recipe...
Both my main courses happened to be tomato gravy based.. So the distinct flavours needed to be shown off... This called for an extra attention while preparing it !!I would call this recipe quite a blend of Tarla dalal's , Sanjeev Kapoor's and offcourse with my twist :)
|Paneer||250gm cut into 16 cubes|
|Boiled Green Peas||1 Cup|
|Kitchen Tissues||2-3 Nos|
|Hot Water||Roughly 1/2 litre|
For the gravy:
|Big Tomatoes||4 Nos|
|Double Concentrated tomato puree||2 Tablespoons|
|Tomato Sauce||1 Tblspn|
|Garam masala powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|Cumin Powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Low fat Fresh Cream||1/2 Cup|
|SemiSkimmed Milk||1/2 Cup|
|Bay Leaf||1 Nos|
|Kasturi Methi||1 Tsp|
|Grated Paneer||2-3 Tblspn|
|Chopped Coriander leaves||for garnishing|
- Heat 4 tblspn of oil in a non stick flat pan. Drop in paneer cubes in batches of 4. Fry until we get a light brown color on all the sides. Drain the paneer pieces onto the kitchen towel and immediately drop them into the boiling water containing a bit of salt and turmeric. ( this process will keep the paneer soft & give them a bit of color too)Let them soak in for atleast 10 minutes. Repeat the process for the rest of the pieces.
- Heat butter in a non stick pan , add bay leaf,cloves ,cardamon and saute for a minute. Make a fine paste grinding together Onion, ginger,garlic , cashewnuts and red chillies. Add them and cook till it turns light brown. Meanwhile grind all the 4 tomatoes and keep aside the puree.
- Drop in the double concentrate tomato puree and tomato sauce into the onion mixture over the stove and cook for a minute. Add the set aside tomato puree along with all the powders - turmeric,cumin, coriander ,garam masala and salt .Cook until oil separates from the masala's.
- Drop in the tablespoon full of honey along with milk , cream and about 1/2-3/4th cup of water and allow it to boil. Make sure to cover the gravy with a lid as the tomatoes puree tend to splutter out. Add in Peas along with paneer and the required salt and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with grated paneer,kasturi methi(remember to fry the methi for few sec on the tava and then crush them between ur palm) & coriander leaves and serve hot with nan or phulkas.