February 17, 2010 by Sandhya Hariharan
Boooom !!!!! We had a double birthday bang along with a valentine party that I have been planning for Soo long on Sunday , the 14th of Feb.!.. A sooper dooper hit...
I would love to thank all my blog friends who helped me in finalising the menu for the party... Guess wot?? My H decided to print a Menu card for the party ...so that every person who comes in , gets to know the ingredients and its authenticity :)
I made this Chocolate Cake on Friday ( on the Maha Shivrathri Day) - 2 days before the D -Day. So cudnt taste the ingredients as I made it with egg this time. But it did look Yumm... :)
Coming to the recipe ... I have used my own Eggless Chocolate Indulgence Cake recipe but with a few replacements & Tried a Chocolate Fudge Frosting here.
For the Cake:
|Self Raising Flour||:2 Cups|
|Baking Powder||: 1 Tsp|
|Baking Soda||: 2 Tsp|
|Unsweetened cocopowder||: 1/2 Cup|
|Plain Chocolate||: 75gm|
|Granulated White Sugar||: 1.5 Cups|
|Low fat Vegetable Oil for lighter baking||: 1 Cups|
|Hot Coffee Decoration||: 1 Cup|
|Milk||: 1 Cup|
|Large Eggs||: 4|
|low baking fat butter||:100gm|
|Really fresh double thick cream||:170gm|
|Vanilla Essence||:1 Tsp|
Dark Chocolate /Plain Chocolate
- Separate the white and yolk from the egg.
- Melt the Butter at Room Temperature.
- Prepare the hot Coffee Decoratation by mixing 1.5 Tsp Dogwe Egbert Instant Coffee Powder with 1 Cup of Water.
- Preheat the Fan Assisted Oven to 180 C. In a large Mixing Bowl , add Butter & Sugar. Beat them well using an electric mixer until really smooth.Now incorporate the yolk and beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients - Self Raising Flour , Baking Powder , Baking soda & coco powder followed by wet Ingredients - Hot Coffee decoratation & Milk one by one with regular mixing after each incorporation.
- Beat the White separately until a rising peak is achieved . Now add the chocolate pieces after melting them in the microwave for a minute to the Egg White Mixture. Mix Well. Add this White Mixture to the large mixing bowl containing the rest of the ingredients.
- Using an hand blender , wisk the mix for about 1-2 minutes until all the lumps are gradually gone.
- Grease 2 Sandwitch Cake tins of 21cms with a lil butter and dust a bit of coco powder all around. Pour the cake mix in the sandwitch tin upto 3/4th and place it in the oven. Remaining mix could be poured into a muffins mould.
- Bake for nearly 45minutes until a wooden skewer inserted comes out neat. Let it rest in the wire rack for a while( about 30 minutes) until the cake cools.This is a highly impatient period when we cant wait to see out results of our efforts.
For Frosting :
- Add all the chocolate pieces in a large microwave safe bowl and melt them in the microwave with regular stirring every 20 secs. By about 2 minutes everything will be melted. Incorporate the melted butter, fresh double thick cream, vanilla essence and icing sugar and stir until all lumps are gone.
- This Chocolate Fudge Frosting begins to hold itself right from the begining. Incase it gets a bit hardened because of cooling, just microwave for 30 secs to achieve the desired consistency.
- Carefully turn them upside down from the sandwitch tin over the large plate. Make sure they dont crumble.
- I did hurry a bit , so my cake from the large cake tin did crumble.(Moreover it was of the silicone variety).
- Traditional tins did the wonder.
- First decorate the cake drum . I dusted a bit of icing sugar all over and scrapped a few dark and milk chocolate pieces on them. Now place the first cake over it. Using a knife spread the Fudge Frosting all over the cake and in the sides. Dip Knife in Hot water inbetween spreads .It did help me .
- Gently place the second cake over the first. Spread the Frosting all over and allow it to flow over the sides too. Using a clean knife , spread them neatly in the circumference of the cake.
- Preparare a mixture for the piping bag. Take a little of the mixture aside and add the icing sugar and mix them well . This mixture will be thicker than the frosting one. Fill the piping bag and draw lines all around the cake , just like I did.
- Add chocolate crumbles at the tip of the cake to complete the cake drum.
- For the top decoration , use a cheese knife and grate dark chocolate and plain chocolate alternatively in the sides to achieve curls & cover the cake. Decorate the edges with smarties .
- I chilled this cake for 2 days and put it out of the refrigerator few hours before the cake cutting.
- Enjoy this preparation of my birthday cake with your loved ones.