December 4, 2009 by Sandhya Hariharan
Apart from the Green Chutney , this is one more chaat essential that is always stocked in my freezer. Call it Red Chutney or Dates Chutney or Tamarind Chutney or Meeta Chutney or Sonth Chutney.. Its the Same... Quite an essential ingredient for chat..
Chat wala's wud not be adding dates as it wud just shoot up their cost and it will not be economical. But for people doing at home.. Chat is definitely healthy.. for its got this iron packed chutney..
Our friend's kids just love this for the khatta meetta taste :
|Seedless Dates||250 gm|
|Dried Red Chilli||1/2 Nos|
|Cumin Powder||1 Tsp|
|Black Salt||1/2-3/4th Tsp|
|Black Pepper||1/2 Tsp|
|Dry Ginger Powder||1/2-3/4th Tsp|
- Deseed the Dates . (I have used seedless Dates in this preparation.)Remove any seed and clean the tamarind and keep it aside.
- Combine all the 3 essential Ingredients in a pan along with red chilli and add enough water to dissolve it ..Allow this combination to boil for 15 minutes and let it cool down.
- Blend the whole thing to obtain a smooth paste.Use a little water if required.
- Divide this mix into 2 parts. Add 1 tsp of freshly ground Cumin Powder , black pepper , dry ginger powder and black salt to one part. Leave the other part of this chutney as it is .It will be very handy if you have little guests wanting to attack on chats. I would always add the powders just before we want to enjoy chat .In that way there is no confusion .
- Store them in small containers and leave them in deep freezer. Use it anytime in the next few months.. It is bound to stay fresh.