October 22, 2009 by Sandhya Hariharan
I have got Nostalgic memories linked with this Savory Bite.Lets go flash back about 12 years to Mumbai.We had a story about Kadu manga( Small mango in chilli gravy pickle) in our english text books in Mumbai ( guess in my 8 th standard) . No one had ever heard or seen it ever in my school. I promised my friends to get it to school one day and let them taste wot it was. My friend Deepali just loved it , that she told me lets do a pact. You give me 1 bottle of Kadu Manga and I get you one Box of Methi Cuts ( Cant recollect the right name for it ).. Its also called Namkeen Pare..
Namkeen means Savory and Para - fragment / piece.... Many people also call it Mattri..
On the diwali day , this savory was just being enjoyed by friends like hot cakes.
Recipe Courtesy : My Ma
|Whole Wheat Flour||1 cup|
|Plain Flour ( Maida)||1 cup|
|Fresh methi||1 Bunch|
|Crushed Green Chillies||2-2.5 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1 tsp|
|Jeera ( Cumin Seeds)||1 tsp|
|Unsalted Melted Butter / Oil||3/4th cup|
|Water||1/2 - 3/4th cup|
- Wash Methi Leaves a couple of time under running tap water and pat dry with kitchen towel.Chop it into small pieces and keep it aside.
- Mix Wheat Flour , Plain Flour , Green Chillies , Methi Leaves , Turmeric ,Cumin Seeds, Salt , Water and knead into a hard dough.
- Melt unsalted butter or hot oil and add it to the dough above. Knead a couple of times with hand and obtain the dough.
Divide them into equal balls.
- Pinching each ball one at a time , flatten & roll it out to 1/4 " thickness using a rolling pin.Using a knife cut it into diagonal lines ( diamond shape) or the desired shape you like.
- Deep fry them in a low flame until it turns brown. ( It took me atleast 5-6 minutes to deep fry each batch) .
Drain them in paper kitchen towel . Once cooled store them in an airtight container.
- Serve them in combination with your favourite sweet for any occasion.
KITCHEN NOTES :
- Dough needs to me much harder than the chapathi or poori dough.
- According to my mother , the size of the diamonds needs to be much smaller. ( This was the first comment she gave me after I made them n showed her over the webcam) .