October 19, 2009 by Sandhya Hariharan
Diwali preparations in zing... We did want to grab something Hatke & jhatpat.
Thats when I remembered I have a few cooked kindney beans leftover from after using the majority of them for Dal Makhani....Had planned to make Rajma masala first - quicker version , then ditched this idea.. and came up with the idea of bean burger.
Looking at my experimenting in the kitchen ,My H has also become particular in opting for healthier version and oil-less version wherever possible. So I tried Shallow fry & Baked Version for making the Bean Pattice. Flavour n Taste no less than the burger from the Burger king.
WHAT GOES IN THE MAKING :
|Cooked Kidney Beans / Rajma ||: 1 -1.5 cups|
|Chopped Onions ||: 1 nos small size|
|Grated Carrot ||: 1/2 cup|
|Green Peas ||: Handful|
|Ginger Garlic Paste ||: 1.5 tsp ( optional)|
|Green Chillies ||: 1 nos chopped finely|
|Salt ||: To taste|
|Dried Parsely ||: 1 tsp|
|Bread ||: 2 slice for making bread crumb|
|Corn Flour ||: 1-1.5 tsp |
|Water ||: 3-5 tsp |
- Tear the bread into few big chunks and add it to a blender. Blender goess Grrrrrrrr at speed 1 for few seconds & bread crumbs ready.
- Add the cooked kidney beans into the blender/ food processor and blend them until they roughly get mashed..
- Mix Corn flour and Water and make a mixture.
- Defrost the frozen Peas and add in warm water for few minutes.Take them out , mash them & keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of Oil in Pan , Add Ginger Garlic Paste , green chillies & saute it for 1-1.5 minutes.
- Add chopped onions & pinch of salt and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add Grated Carrots , mashed peas & kidney beans . Saute them for 2 more minutes in low flame.
- Sprinkle Parsley , ground pepper & required salt to the above mixtue , saute them for few more seconds and turn of the flame.
- Make small pattice out of the mixture , apply corn flour paste all around , dip it in the bread crumbs mix and keep them aside. Repeat the process for the rest of the mixture.
Frying or Baking ???
Well I tried both the versions one after the other... Baked Version gave us a good satisfaction for Oil-Less food.
Method 1 : Shallow fry the pattice in few drops of oil , turning both sides until they turn slightly brown in color & the outer covering gets crispy. Pat dry in a kitchen towel to drain out all the excessive oil.
Method 2 : Pre heat the oven to 220 C . Bake the pattice placing them on a non stick tin ,for roughy 10 - 12 minutes or until they slighly turn. Make sure to turn the pattice in the middle of the process.
HOW DO WE SERVE THIS ??
Little Gem Lettuce
Cheese Slices ( Optional )
Mayonnaise ( Optional)
Bean Burger is ready to be served wit Tomato Ketchup & lovely Orange juice.
WVF Light Meal Event hosted by Suchitra of Simple Indian Food
JFI Rajma hosted by Divya of Dil Se brainchild of Indira's Mahanadi