September 11, 2009 by Sandhya Hariharan
Almond /Badam Kheer is first among sweet dishes ,I learnt after marriage. Its really very simple and it is really yummy whether served hot or chilled. Dedicating this dish to my dear husband who is always in love with Sweets:).Quite an ideal sweet for beginners to try.
- 2 fist full of Almonds : Roughly 30-40 nos
- Cashewnut : 2 nos
- Cardamon : 1 nos crushed
- Safron ( Spanish Kesar) : 6-7 strings
- Milk : 3/4 litre
- Sugar : 3 tsp
- Soak almonds in warm water for about 1 hour. Peel almonds and grind them to paste along with the cashewnuts using milk.
- Soak 2-3 strands of safron in 1/4 cup of warm milk.
- Drop the remaining strands of safron into the kheer just before serving.
- Transfer the kheer to a dessert bowl & serve it hot or chilled.
According to Ayurveda(Indian origin), an effective system of health care, Badam gives :
- nutrition to brain and nervous system
- induces longevity
- boosts immunity
- improve complexion
- prevents cancer
- reduces cholesterol